1.3 in IEC-63205 standards from the risk assessment.
Posted On June 10, 2019
There are three main objectives that will be satisfied by end of this projects as expressed below:
· Minimize the bypass happening well within the guaranteed protection zone.
The parts of a building more likely to be struck by lightning are the edges and corners. Those regions are more vulnerable to lightning strikes. Hence, appropriate method needed to ensure the buildings are protected from lightning strikes.
· Improvise the current air terminal system in UNITEN
The air terminals (rod) on top of the buildings are to provide protection for the area spread out below the structures. Number and height air terminals has to be determined through the calculation, to protect buildings and contents from damage caused by the intensely high currents of a lightning strike.
· Increase the interception efficiency of the lightning strike towards the air terminals.
Choosing the appropriate lightning protection level as stated in IEC-63205 standards from the risk assessment.
1.4 Scopes of Project
There are several scopes have been set to ensure the task is executed within the proposed perspective and to ensure that this project will accomplish the objectives which have been mentioned earlier. Those scopes are:
1. This research will be based on Conventional Lightning Protection system accordance to IEC – 63205 standards.
2. The lightning risk assessment has been carried out to provide needed Level of protection for COE buildings.
3. The number and height of air terminals on building has been determined based on the level of protection and lightning interceptions efficiency.
4. Appropriate method has been used to provide optimum protection for the buildings
5. The grounding system assessment has been done, where the grounding impedance will be affected by soil or water resistivity.
1.5 Thesis Overview
The overview of this thesis follows the steps to accomplish the main objectives of the project. The thesis consist of 5 chapters such as the Introduction, Literature Review, Methodology, Results and analysis and conclusion. Each chapters provide explanation on all the procedure in order to complete the project.
Chapter 1 : Introduction
This chapter provides an overview of occurrence of lightning phenomenon and background of conventional lightning rod. The problem statements and objectives of the project have been discussed in this section as well.
Chapter 2 : Literature Review
This chapter presents a complete literature review about modern day Lightning Protection System (LPS) and methods of protecting any structures from lightning strike. The literature review also covers the placement of air terminals and ground electrodes to give less impedance path to discharge at ground.
Chapter 3 : Methodology
This chapter discuss about the methods and techniques which have been used to complete the project. This chapter also presents about the work flow of the project.
Chapter 4 : Results and Analysis
This chapter will cover all results from calculation and estimation that have been done in achieving the main objectives including the Computer aided programs which have been utilized throughout the project. The analysis of these results will be discussed clearly through this part.
Chapter 5 : Conclusion and Recommendation
Chapter five will explain the findings from previous chapters with recommendation in order to further develop which can considered to implement on COE buildings.